Enham Alamein is the birthplace and hub of Enham Trust. Many visitors ask us why the village is called Enham Alamein. This goes back to Egypt in 1942, following the defeat of Axis forces at the Battle of El Alamein. The Egyptian people wanted to show their appreciation and gratitude for the gallantry of the Forces involved. In 1944, a committee of Egyptians was formed, and an appeal launched to raise funds with the main purpose of setting up an organisation in England for the benefit of disabled ex-servicemen.

After several proposals and rejections from other projects and charities, Enham village's plans to expand the village to take in many additional war-disabled servicemen and their families was accepted. The committee felt that Enham had “wider, larger and better scope than other applications, since it would cater for both physical and tubercular war disabled ex-serviceman and their families”. 

To the amazement and delight of everyone, Enham received the incredible donation of £225,000 – worth around £6.3 million today. The decision to change the village name from Enham to that of Enham Alamein was made in gratitude for such a wonderful and life-changing gift.

Sir Amin Osman Pacha hands over first cheque instalment of £100,000 to Lord Mottistone, 23 Oct 1945

During the following year, the Egyptian Government presented Enham Alamein with three pairs of wrought iron gates which originally hung at the Alamein Club in Cairo. These are still on display today at the entrance to Montgomery House on Newbury Road and form the last section of the Enham Heritage Trail.

Iron gates in Enham Alamein gifted by Egyptian Government

See more of our 100 Stories...

100 Stories: Chloe Plummer
100 Stories: Mark and Elizabeth Maclay

 Previous article                                                                                                                                         Next article