About History 1930's In 1930, two grand balls were held as fundraisers, ‘The Wedgewood Ball’ on 27th May, and ‘The Jewels of the Empire Ball’ on 26th November at the Park Lane Hotel in London, the latter raising £1,500 profit on tickets alone. It attracted a wide range of publicity in national papers and magazines such as the Bystander, Tatler and Sketch. Following the death of Field Marshal Lord Plumer in 1932, Field Marshal Lord Allenby became President of Enham Village Centre. With the Enham Industries continuing to make progress with increasing mechanisation in the woodworking factory, the Bernhard Baron Basketry Department - a fine new purpose built workshop - was opened in 1935. There were now four industries - woodwork, basketry, upholstery and gardens. The Committee called a General Meeting on 10th July 1935 to consider a Special Resolution to extend Enham's sphere of help beyond the disabled servicemen. Enham extended its employment scheme to disabled people, but not through the result of war or conflict. With the passing of His Majesty King George V in 1936, Enham lost the services of their Royal Patron who had done so much for them. This was followed soon after with the deaths of the President of Enham and the Chairman of the Executive and Finance Committee. Sir Charles McLeod, a banker and merchant, had devoted not only money but time and energy to Enham throughout the 1930’s. He was responsible for saving the Enham Village Centre from collapse, when he personally advanced many thousands of pounds to save the Village, when its livelihood was threatened by the financial collapse in 1920. In November 1936 in issue of ‘Village Settlements Pictorial’, the annual report said "Such a service can never be forgotten and, as long as Enham endures, the name of Sir Charles McLeod will be honoured there."