About us History 1918 - 1920 Enham Place was a private estate which together with houses and other buildings totalled some 1027 acres. As a result of a visit from John Hodge, Minster for Pensions, the Village Centres Council selected Enham Place as the site for the first Village Centre following the Great War 'for the medical treatment and training of ex-servicemen suffering from the effects of amputations, neurasthenia and shell shock. Existing buildings were enough to accommodate 150 men, with the first 50 injured soldiers arriving in the summer of 1919. In 1919, King George V donated £100,000 (millions by today’s prices!) which enabled Enham to start supporting disabled people. This money was used for housing at Enham – previously known as Knights Enham. During 1919, the Red Cross also gave a total of £15,000 towards a new medicine building. By October 1919, there were 150 clients living at Enham. Enham was officially opened by Sir Laming Worthington M.P, Minster for Pensions.