Experts by Experience
If you are already a trained CQC Expert by Experience please contact us now - we have inspections waiting to start
What is an Expert by Experience?
Experts by Experience are people who have experience of using or caring for someone who uses health and/or social care services. They take part in CQC inspections of health and social care services and CQC visits to monitor the use of the Mental Health Act. Experts by Experience and their support workers will be paid for carrying out their work.
What do Experts by Experience do?
Experts by Experience talk to people who use services and their family carers and observe the environment around them. Their findings are used to support the inspector’s judgement on the service and can also be included in the inspection report.
Experts also assist the CQC in other ways, such as taking part in consultations and CQC staff training, helping to develop CQC ways of working, co-producing public information.
Who can be an Expert by Experience?
An expert can be someone who has accessed a health or social care service or cared for someone who has within the past 5 years.
What skills do I need to be an Expert by Experience?
Experts by Experience (supported by a support worker if required) must as a minimum have the following skill sets:
- Able to actively listen to and effectively communicate with people who use services.
- Good understanding of health and social care infrastructure, particularly in their area of expertise.
- Good working knowledge of equality and diversity and human rights principles.
- Ability to accurately record evidence, and report on the evidence they have gathered, with or without support.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and active/passive listening skills
- To have a flexible and positive attitude when liaising with both support organisations staff, the Authority staff and external people
- Ability to provide written information as required by the lead inspector.
Become an Expert by Experience
Enham Trust are currently looking for individuals who would be interested in becoming Experts by Experience who have experience in the following areas:
- Older people with experience of using health and/or social care services, or their family carers
- People with learning disabilities
- Family carers of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, complex needs, and/or behaviours that can be described as challenging
Experts by Experience and their support workers will be paid for carrying out their work.
If you would like more information or if you would like to apply to become and Expert by Experience get in touch.
I think that Experts by Experience offer a different perspective and I hope those who use the service feel able to share how they feel and whether the service they are getting is good enough for them as an individual. I believe service users see me as ‘more relaxed’ and that can help them give more honest answers.